Friday, September 2, 2011

#66 and counting

The first two weeks of school have been brutal! Mostly, my feet are achy because I'm not used to standing long days as I usually do, and I'm not getting enough sleep yet because I'm getting up earlier but still staying up later like I did over the summer. I'll adjust before you know it, but the adjusting isn't much fun.

I've also had to fit in auditions and orientations and meetings at the later end of the day, so I haven't had as much time to cook as I usually do. I have still had enough time to try some new recipes, just not as many as quickly. Amongst these newbies, there have been some great results.

I have made more "recipeas" from Sarah Matheny's book. I am ready to give my seal of approval for chewy energy bars. I replaced the raisins for dried cherries, and kept the chocolate chips. I enjoyed them, and the Baker kept sneaking them when I was out of the house. The mostly oat and whole wheat pastry flour base stuck together better than I thought it would. It doesn't beat my Luna bars in taste or calorie count (I had to halve the serving to make sure it didn't overshoot my calorie allotment for a snack), but it was still a whole-foods whole grain option without added oils. I give them a B, but I think the Baker would give an A-.

Also from Peas and Thank You was one third of my very colorful and tasty lunch last Sunday. Spanish style quinoa was incredibly simple to make, and tasty, though not overly complex in flavor. It was a good, solid dish that will make it into my regular rotation. A- for the supergrain.

Along with my quinoa and watermelon, I decided I needed something leafy, dark, and green. What better than one of my favorite veggies, Brussels sprouts? I had been meaning to make Isa's shaved Brussels sprouts from Appetite for Reduction for a while now, and it definitely didn't disappoint. How can you go wrong with onion, sprouts, garlic salt and pepper in a cast iron pan? They were lovely, somewhat crispy, and perfect. A+.


Number 69 was part of my dinner on Wednesday night (and the Baker's on Wednesday and Thursday nights). I made another of Isa's AFR recipes, mango bbq baked beans. The sauce was not overly fruity, although I think it needed another savory note in it, but other than that, it was a lovely dish. I'm not usually a kidney bean fan, but it worked rather well with the sauce. The Baker hates baked beans, and he keeps eating the leftovers. I give it an A-, but perhaps the allspice the recipe has but I did not have in the pantry will give it that last note that it needs.

I've got grand plans to make it to 75 this holiday weekend. I've got to start having lots of little tupperwares ready for school lunches and quick dinners before rehearsals. I got a part in Noises Off which is just about a dream come true. I have been in love with this play since I was about 15 and saw the movie version, and thank my lucky stars that I am going to get to play a role in it. It's incredibly exciting, but it also means I will have to eat on the run 3 nights a week for the time being. This means a lot of weekend prep and weekday reheating. Not that I mind! I often find it easier to shave a couple of pounds when I'm this busy, because when I have to plan ahead so much, I plan ahead healthy and I have less options for deviating than in the summer when I'm home half the day with time to snack and bake cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment