Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Soup and Philosophy

This is Annie.  We had an interesting weekend.

I have become fairly competent at soup-making. Some, the Baker included, might say skilled. I love soups for all the reasons I've mentioned before; they are easy to store and reheat for quick meals, many are incredibly nutritious, and there are also some veggies I won't eat anywhere else but will in soup. Still, with skill comes a certain level of choosiness. More plainly stated, to make it into my regular rotation a soup has to be so good that I look forward to eating the leftovers.

I have been on the quest for an excellent lentil soup for a while. I have an excellent split pea, minnestrone, ribollita, and two varieties of tomato soup as well as a couple nice tomato-based veggie soups. These soups cover a lot of bases, but one of my goals has been to get lentils into my meal rotation a little more often, hence the search for a lentil soup. I've made a couple from Isa Chandra Moskowitz, I've made some from Robin Robertson, and now I have made one by Mama Pea. I am sad to say I am still on my search.

The lemon lentil soup from Peas and Thank You was by no means bad. There have been a few soups (and other recipes too) when I have decided that I didn't like what I was eating enough to finish it at all, and this was not one of those recipes. I ate a whole bowl of the red lentil and chock-full-of carrots soup, but when I finished it, I didn't want to ladle more into my bowl, nor did I want to take the effort to pack it into the fridge, where it would have likely sat until I decided to throw it out. It was a competent, if a bit plain, soup, but nothing that would help me make it through my morning by allowing me to dream about my lovely lunch. It was a little too bland, but I could imagine it might be good for finicky kids who might not like strong tastes. I give this #70 a C+.



For morning snack today (and probably for snacks for the rest of the week as well) I kept with Mama Pea and made use of some ripe bananas and baked up some banana chocolate chip millet muffins. They're pretty good. They're sweet without being overly so, the texture is a little grainy from the millet, which I liked a lot. I didn't like the banana slices on top, however. The mushy texture was a bit of a turn off. Still, leaving off the banana slices would be incredibly simple. I think I still like banana bread better.

For #72, I decided to try escarole, something that I'd been thinking about for a while. I used a recipe from Appetite for Reduction to add a little punch to some of the green while wilting it on the stove. The flavor profile was all right, but the red pepper flakes were a little to hot for me. I know, I'm a spice wimp. I might try this dish without the pepper. Then again, the flavor profile, even without considering the heat, did not knock my socks off, it was just okay. You know me, I much prefer the savory I eat with a touch of sweet. The lemon wedge was not enough to temper this for me. C+.

Perhaps it is cheating, but 73 and 74 are two kinds of kale chips from Vegan Family Meals by Ann Gentry. I made the basic chips and the garlic sesame chips. I overcooked them a touch, but gosh darn it, they are quite yummy, both flavors, although the garlic sesame only tastes a touch different than the regular (a hint of soy and a little saltier). These will definitely be made again! And if there is adjustment for user error (since I left them in too long) this is an A-.

75 was a wonderful addition from 30 Minute Vegan's Taste of the East.  Curried (Indian) potatoes were a lovely side to my Italian green beans.  The dinner hit the spot after a long tough day.  Annie, my 18 month old dog, got injured and required stitches this weekend.  This means that she's been a little tough to deal with, especially yesterday after breaking her e-collar.  I couldn't leave her home and allow her to chew on her bandage, I couldn't take her in the car since she decided she needed to ride standing on my lap (restricting my access to not only the steering wheel but my vision).  We walked to the pet store, which secured a better afternoon for me, but it also required a good meal to uplift my body and spirits.  I give the curried potatoes an A+.  They were simpler to make than I expected, and the only down side is that they turned my nails yellow with turmeric.
76 was a quick dinner tonight, a breakfast recipe that I found simple and comforting. Quick oats with quinoa flakes, a combination I would not have thought of on my own, came from Vegan Family Meals.  Not a tough meal to make, and also quite comforting in its own warm and creamy way.  The touch of cinnamon, vanilla, and maple syrup (as well as the warm almond milk) was quite the comfort food.  In my college days I used to make oatmeal for dinner more than once, and if it stays cooler, I might be able to do this more often on busy nights-or mornings, y'know, to be all traditional about it.  I give it an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment