Sunday, June 26, 2011

#21-23 Were Not Good Numbers

My house's foundation. Diamonds. My abs. These are all things that I would want to be rock hard. However, not the new roll recipe I am trying for lunch. I should have known that when I kneaded the dough and it was stiffer than cement, or when I had to add an extra half cup of water and it was still bone dry. But that's how the parsley pesto rolls I made today turned out. Herby, whole wheat hockey pucks.

Let's take it back a notch here. It's a 500 Vegan Recipes day on the home front. I actually might make even more recipes this evening for dinner, but for lunch I made the aforementioned parsley-pesto, parsley pesto rolls, and carrot cumin soup with parsley pesto dollops which I had meant to make yesterday but could not until the Baker helped me to work the food processor.

The pesto we made last night. Since I had loved the parsley-pesto walnut sauce from Donna Klein's book, I was greatly anticipating this pesto. However, I don't really like it. I think the Baker put his finger on it why. He said it tasted to him like a combination of pesto and hummus. I know this makes me a bad vegetarian, but I am not a fan of hummus. This really saddens me, because I love chickpeas in all kinds of things, however, I don't like this beany pesto. I thought that if it were an accent in something it might be better, but it wasn't any better in the (hard) rolls or (baby food-esque) soup.

So, the rolls were not my first visit to the baking picnic. I've been making yeasted rolls since I was a pre-teen and yeasted home-made bread from scratch for about a decade. So, you've got to understand that this wasn't a first-time baking snafu. I think it's a lot of flour for 6 rolls, and not enough moisture. I'm disappointed because I've loved so many bread recipes out of this book so far. None of them, as of yet, have been yeasted, but the blueberry cornmeal bread is out of this world.

The carrot cumin soup was okay, but it looked a little bit like baby food. I didn't like the texture, but the taste was fair. However, it was not enough to make it into my soup pantheon. I don't think a soup with the main part carrot is really something I can stand behind. It's too sweet for my soup tastes, yet again. I have to stay away from these sweeter soups.

77 to go. It would be awesome if I could finish 30 before the end of the month!

1 comment:

  1. OMG. pesto hummus, yeah, ick!!!
    Fun reading about your cookbook experiences. I was flirting with raw, even though I am now raw, right when a zillion vegan cookbooks entered the scene and so never filled my shelves with them!!
    Now I buy raw books just because thats who I want to be, not who I am :)
    You know, like keeping the skinny jeans around......
    Have you tried cashew or zucchini hummus or do you not like tahini??

    ReplyDelete