Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Recipes #9, 10, 11


Being incredibly sick for the last week put me behind in my cooking challenge. I was out with about the worst sinus infection I've had in a decade. I was hoping to get a leg up early on to make up for vacation next month, but here I am, running 4 recipes behind instead.

The Baker made me a tomato Florentine soup during my illness that was from Italian Vegan Kitchen. The soup was wonderful; a mirepoix with a few herbs including fresh basil, spinach, and ditalini. It was perfect sick food! I will definitely make it again, although it would definitely be better when adding my home-made herbed croutons! I made a very simple chickpea-tomato soup from the same book yesterday, pictured here. It is basically a tomato soup with rosemary and chickpeas, blended, then add ditalini. It too, was incredibly good (and made with half the oil in the recipe). I believe it will quickly become a pantry recipe, as there are very few evenings when I don't have canned tomatoes, garlic, and canned chickpeas and rosemary on hand. Use my immersion blender, and it can be ready in about half an hour.

In between the two soups, I got back out my copy of Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar and tried to assuage my oatmeal raisin cookie craving. The resulting cookies get a B from me, though it could have been my fault. The oatmeal, for me, was not mushed enough into the bulk of the cookie, and felt too grainy for my taste. I think I may have used the wrong kind of oats. It required quick cooking, and I don't think that's what I used. They weren't labeled as such. Of course, they weren't labeled slow cooking either, so I'm just not sure!

So, 11 recipes down, 89 to go! I am a little quick-breaded out for the moment, and am still waiting on the cherry tomatoes and basil at the CSA to come into season to start whipping out some more of the pasta and soup recipes, but so far, I'm overly fond of Donna Klein's Italian cook book. Now it's time for me to stick my nose into a book and figure out what's next!

No comments:

Post a Comment