Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Recipes #3 and #4


Viva Vegan by Terry Hope Romero is a cookbook I fell in love with last summer when I first bought it. After a particularly bad experience trying dairy-free sour cream on my bean burritos using beans from her book, I've been on a very off phase with bean burritos. Also, when I got so many other cook books, I started using them.
Now that I have challenged myself to make 100 new recipes from my many cookbooks over the course of this summer, and I embraced Memorial Day Weekend as my starting point, I decided that I needed to re-embrace Viva Vegan. She's got a whole lot more in there than refried beans.
On Monday, when many of y'all were chilling at the BBQ, I was making Quick Red Posole (the stew pictured up there) and Orange Mojo Tofu. I also made some pineapple-lime coleslaw which, though awesome, is not a new recipe for me.
I'm a total lightweight, so I only put half the amount of ground chile powder stated in the posole. I'm sad to say, despite the many ingredients in the stew I usually like (tomatoes, onions, lime, cumin, etc.) it really didn't do anything for me and was still too hot for my sensibilities. My husband loved the soup, however. Will I make it again? Probably not. I didn't finish my bowl. But since the Baker loved it, I will grade it on a curve. C-/D+.
Why did I give you a pic for the soup, then? Why not the orange mojo tofu? Because the Baker and I ate the tofu so darn fast I was not able to take the picture. I won't lie, at first bite I didn't like it. I thought it was a little flavorless. However, I realized that our uneven stove allowed the orangey limey marinade to puddle away from the corner where the lower in flavor piece of tofu had cooked. The other pieces were awesome.
Will I make it again? Hells yes! In fact, if there were tofu in the fridge at present, I'd probably be making more right now.... Listen to me, people. This is the first time I've cooked tofu and loved it. This recipe is pretty awesome. A+

No comments:

Post a Comment