Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Recipe #2


I cooked the fig quick bread from 500 Vegan Recipes by Celine Steen and Joni Marie Newman on Sunday. I love homemade fig bars from my favorite vegan cookie book, so I thought this bread might be able to substitute for the cookies once in a while, while using a bit less fat and sugar. They don't go overboard with the oil, but I temper it a little as well by reducing the oil to 1/4 cup from 1/3, and filling the liquid measuring cup the rest of the way to 1/3 with apple sauce (no sugar added!) I do that a lot.

The bread calls for spelt and whole wheat pastry flour, two flours I'm also pretty down with, as well as some sugar and the usual suspects.


Would I make this again? Maybe. The texture was very nice and soft, and the bread was all right, but tasting it, it just seemed to lack a little something, and extra kick of something. I might try adding a touch more salt. Breads like this and cookies usually take 1/2 teaspoon, but sometimes I find 3/4 teaspoon makes these baked goods sing just a bit more.

I give it a B-/C+.

No comments:

Post a Comment